This book is the accumulated observations of the author's programmer job interviews with hundreds of job candidates. The author provides useful insights into what characteristics make a good computer programmer, and offers her accumulated techniques as an aid to interviewing a programmer job candidate.
This handy guide has a sample set of programmer job interview questions and provides a standard method for accurately accessing the technical abilities of programmer job candidates. By using computer programmer job interview questions that only an experienced programmer knows, you can ask the right interview questions and fill your programmer job with the best qualified programmer.
- Assists the IT manager in choosing the best-qualified programmer professionals.
- Provides proven techniques that can accurately ascertain a job candidates suitability for any computer programmer position.
- Lists the personality characteristics of successful computer programmer professionals and how to identify candidates with the right demeanor.
- Describes methods for evaluating academic and work history for programmer professionals.
- Includes managers’ checklist of personality and background characteristics that indicate a suitable programmer job candidate.
- Covers techniques for quickly scan resumes and find the best-qualified programmer job candidates.
- Includes oral interview questions for programmer/developers and Programmer Analysts.
- Includes C job interview questions, C++ job interview questions, PHP job interview questions, UNIX job interview questions and Oracle PL/SQL job interview questions.
About the Author
Janet Burleson has a BS degree in Computer Science from North Carolina State University and has been a Webmaster for many years working with the web since its early inception. As an expert Webmaster consultant she provides high level web consulting services that improve the market status of Fortune 500 companies including web search rank positioning, keyword optimization, web content optimization, web community relationships, web site design, web usage tracking and web site configuration.
Janet Burleson is also one of the world's pioneering horse trainers, having developed a hugely successful Guide Horse Foundation to train miniature horses to guide the blind.
Chapter 1 - Programmer Evaluation
Preparing the Programmer Job Offering
Preparing the Incentive Package
Defining the Required Job Skills
Basic IT Skills
Characteristics of the Professional Programmer
Sample Job Sheet for a Senior Computer Programmer
Chapter 2 - Successful Programmer Qualities
Evaluating Employment History
Fraudulent Work History
Evaluating Personal Integrity
Evaluating Academic History
The Quality of Education
Rating College Education
College Major and Job Suitability
Advanced Degrees and Programming Professionals
The New Graduate
Personality of the Professional Programmer
A Curious Nature
A Tenacious Disposition
Attention to Detail
Chapter 3 - Roles for the Computer Programmer
Finding a well-rounded candidate
Computer Programmer Job Roles
Chapter 4 - Initial Screening
The High Cost of Attrition and Hiring Overhead
Choosing Viable Candidates
Dealing with IT Headhunters
General Evaluation Criteria
Gleaning Demographics from the Candidate
The Selection Process
Résumé Red Flags
Evaluating a Programmer’s Training
Developing Questions for Interviews
The IT Candidate’s Demeanor
Conducting the Background Check
Chapter 5 - Preparing for the On-site Interview
Choosing the Right Questions
Questions from the Candidate
Telephone Pre-interview Questions
Chapter 6 - On-Site Interview Questions
Most Commonly Asked
Chapter 7 - What Candidates Always Ask
Chapter 8 - Questions a Candidate Should Never Ask
Best of the Worst
Just for fun
Chapter 9 - The Job Offer
After the Job Offer
Getting Along on the Job
Complaints from the Scientist programmer
Complaints from the Gung-Ho programmer
Complaints from the Empathetic Programmer
Chapter 10 - The Technical Interview
General Programming Job Interview Questions
Java Interview Questions
Java Tuning Interview Questions
J2EE Telephone Pre-interview Questions
J2EE Development Concepts
Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
Java Server Pages (JSP)
Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
Java Message Service (JMS)
Oracle PL/SQL Job Interview Questions
UNIX Interview Questions
Data Modeling Interview Questions
C Programming Questions
C ++ Questions
PHP Scripting Questions
Policies, Processes and Procedures
Commitment to Task
Planning, Prioritizing and Goal Setting
Attention to Detail