Typical enterprises use dozens, hun¬dreds,and sometimes even thousands of applications, components, services, anddatabases. Many of these are custom-made, some are bought, others are based onopen source projects, and the origins of a few—usually the most criticalones—are completely unknown.
A lotof applications are very old, some are fairly new, and seemingly no two of themwere written using the same tools. They run on heterogeneous operating systemsand hardware, they use databas¬es and messaging systems from various vendors,and they were written in differ¬ent programming languages.
Nowyou can use Ruby to glue these disparate applications together to createworld-class solutions to your enterprise problems.
Withthis book, you’ll learn effective and easy ways to:
- Solve difficult integration problems easily and quickly.
- Use relational databases and LDAP effectively.
- Automate your software deployment process.
- Process and transfer XML documents.
- Handle issues with internationaliza¬tion and localization.
- Tie distributed applications together using Sockets, HTTP, REST, XML-RPC, SOAP, and other technologies.
Ifyou’re on the hook to integrateenterprise-class systems together, or to createnew corporatesystems, you need this book.