ThisFourth Edition of this highly successful book is a complete reference onanalysis, design and economics of concrete bridges. Meant essentially forDESIGN ENGINEERS, it is very useful to the Contractors, their Clients and FieldEngineers, it presents a practical and systematic methodology to enable quickand accurate design decisions. A step-by-step approach has been adoptedthroughout the text reflecting the order in which a practicing professionalmight proceed for designing a concrete bridge.
The book contains more than 350 illustrations and photographs, and tablesand charts, and covers in detail the topics such as:.....
- Structural analysis
- Stability of foundations
- Soil mechanics
- Foundation design
- Reinforced and Pre-stressed concrete design
- Estimating safe bearing capacity of soils for Open-foundations
- Caissons and piles
- Maintenance Management System for highway bridges
- Bridge distress reporting — A workman-like approach
Thenew edition has been considerably enhanced with additional chapters on:
- How to select consultants
- Value Engineering
HEREIS A BIRD'S-EYE-VIEW OF WHAT IS COVERED IN THIS TREATISE (which gives anidea about the EXTENT and DEPTH of its coverage):
- Practical structural analysis
- What a bridge is designed against.
- Live loading details around the world
- Structural concrete, reinforcement and prestressing
- The substructure.
- Effect of shear-ratings of foundations and deck geometry on distribution of horizontal forces
- Practical effects of slenderness (second-order theory) in designing tall slender structures
- Earth-pressure relief from soil-mass gripping the foundation below scour level.
- Reinforced-earth structures.
- Practical details of various types of bridge-bearings, bridge-expansion joints and bridge parapets
- The superstructure including cantilever and segmental construction and more
- Load distribution among deck-longitudinals
- Analysis of deck cross section.
- Reinforced concrete design.
- Prestressed Concretedesign.
- Design against shearand torsion
- Short cantilevers and deep beams.
- Axialthrust and any-axis bending.
- Ultimate strength as affected by tendon transformation
- Estimation of torsion in horizontally curved multi-span decks
- Thermal stresses.
- Various construction techniques and construction considerations.
- A quick analysis of vibration effects in bridge decks
- Cable-stayed decks.
- Fire resistance of structural concrete
- Economics and quantity trends in alternative bridge structure schemes
- Some topical reflections on bridge engineering.
- Value Engineering
- How to select consultants Etc., Etc.
With its real-time Practising Professional (not Academic)approach to designing bridges, giving the shortest and optimal paths todesign-decisions, and leading the Designer by the finger – as itwere, this book is indispensable to all Design Engineers and to thoseaspiring to be part of this Profession.