Typical enterprises use dozens, hundreds,and sometimes even thousands of applications, components, services, and databases. Many of these are custom-made, some are bought, others are based on open source projects, and the origins of a few—usually the most critical ones—are completely unknown.
A lot of applications are very old, some are fairly new, and seemingly no two of them were written using the same tools. They run on heterogeneous operating systems and hardware, they use databases and messaging systems from various vendors,and they were written in different programming languages.
Now you can use Ruby to glue these disparate applications together to create world-class solutions to your enterprise problems.
With this book, you’ll learn effective and easy ways to:
- Solve difficult integration problems easily and quickly.
- Use relational databases and LDAP effectively.
- Automate your software deployment process.
- Process and transfer XML documents.
- Handle issues with internationaliztion and localization.
- Tie distributed applications together using Sockets, HTTP, REST, XML-RPC, SOAP, and other technologies.
If you’re on the hook to integrate enterprise-class systems together, or to create new corporate systems, you need this book.