About the Book
This double-bill book is a practitioner’s delight!!!!!
It lucidly explains the twin complimentary PRACTICES of CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT and CONTRACT MANAGEMENT in a very PRACTICE-ORIENTED and highly WORKMAN-LIKE manner in almost a “made-easy” format.
It covers the following issues in a thoroughly PRACTICE oriented and highly WORKMAN-LIKE manner:
- 1 A Blueprint for Strengthening Infrastructure in Developing Countries
- 2 Appropriate Technology for Developing Countries
- 3 Private-Sector Participation ... Vital for Infrastructure-Development - Why & How?
- 4 Contracting in Civil Engineering
- 5 Contract Management System
- 6 Construction Management Functions and Bid-Strategy
- 7 Expression of Interest by Competing Consultants
- 8 How to Select Consultants Through Their Technical and Financial Proposals
- 9 How to Prequalify Contractors for A Particular Construction Work
- 10 Check–Lists for: (A) Bidding-Process for A Consultancy Tender, (B) Bidding-Process for A Construction Tender, (C) Bidding-Process for A Goods Tender, (D) Bid-Opening of Tenders for Construction, Consultancy or Goods., (E) Bid-Evaluation of A Consultancy Tender, (F) Bid-Evaluation of A Construction Tender, (G) Bid-Evaluation of A Goods Tender
- 11 “Essentials” of “How “The Engineer’’ Should ‘Supervise’ A Highway & Bridges** Project to Fidic-1999” (Design Carried Out by the Client or His Design Consultant)
- 12 Quality Assurance & Procedures for Certain Items in Bridge Construction
- 13 Initial Site Actions Required to be Taken Before Commencing the Project Work
- 14 Contract “Monitoring Process’’
- 15 Construction Contract…… Some Important Points of Note
- 16 Some Important World Bank ICB* Conditions of Contract Compared to those in an NCB and Some Other Contracts
- 17 The Consultant’s: Project Organization, Staffing, And, Time Scheduling for A Large Infrastructure Project
- 18 Construction-Contract Price ‘Escalation’ and How to Estimate It
- 19 Monitoring the Effects of ‘Plant-Production-Rates’ & ‘Job-Efficiency-Factors’ for Workman-Like contract
- 20 Plant & Equipment for Highway & Bridge Construction
- 21 Safety at Work
- 22 Improving Project Implementation & Design in Civil-Engg. Projects with Special Reference to Cost- and Time-Performance
- 23 Protection of The Environment
- 24 Which Type of Construction Contract?? ~ Traditional Type, ‘D+B’ Type or ‘Epc (Turnkey)’ Type
- 25 Model Concession Agreement
- 26 A Typical Template of A Request for Qualification (RFQ) from Bot Entrepreneurs
- 27 A Practicing Professional’s In-Depth Over-View and Explanatory of Some of the Major Fidic Contracts
The above list lucidly pin-points most of the issues that face
THE CONSTRUCTION MANAGER and THE CONTRACT MANAGER in the “market”.
……These speak for themselves Seldom does a professional book speak with such brevity when the issues are gargantuan, and yet explains them in a “COMPENDIUM” manner i.e. CONCISELY yet COMPREHENSIVELY!!!!
About the Author
Dr. RAINA is an internationally well-known Bridge Expert; a Consultant and Senior Expert with the UNITED NATIONS, the WORLD BANK and the AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK; Technical Advisor to various Governments (the 26 Km long Saudi-Bahrain Sealink and the 40 Km. long proposed Bahrain-Qatar Sea-link, etc.); has Mentored and Trained many young bridge engineers in many host-countries and States; has worked in 21 countries (UK, Canada, Europe, Middle-East, Africa and Asia – including Mongolia); has designed and supervised over 110,000 Lane-meters. of various types of Bridges in different countries – in prestressed and reinforced concrete, on different types of Foundations in different substrata conditions; and has ALSO authored 12 professional Books and nearly 100 Technical Papers and Advisories.